I love taking a few moments here and there to look through all the great recipes that come through Pinterest. A few weeks ago this Avocado and Grilled Corn Salad caught my eye. I actually had corn in the house and was ready to go until I realized I was missing, oh…4 other ingredients. Sigh…story of my life these days. Running to the store with 3 two-year olds in hand for a few ingredients just isn’t going to happen so I’ve learned the art of what my husband endearingly calls, “making do.” I decided to try a little of her recipe with a little of my own and I’m happy to say it turned out really wonderful! I still haven’t made the original recipe because I’m so in love with the new one. I say…try both!
In my version I used my favorite trick of adding fresh rosemary while grilling the corn. I learned this from my friend Ann Etheridge, artist and one of the best cooks I know. I love it because in Southern California rosemary grows all over the place (including most people’s yards) so we can always trim some easily and don’t have to rush off to the store. Don’t worry, we got it from our own yard…I wouldn’t suggest bringing your sheers over to your neighbors yard unless you know them really, really well. Fresh cut rosemary or any herb for that matter offers incredible flavor as well! Even if you’re a city dweller you should look into planting an herb garden. That’s next on my list of to-do’s!
This recipe is quite simple, but I’ll caution…you do need to let the corn cool completely so put it on early, hang out for awhile, have a beer (or whatever it is you do when you grill) and then grill the rest of your food while you put the salad together. I personally think it is kid friendly although not one of my kids likes corn. Not any corn. Weird huh? They did pick out and eat the avocados and tomatoes though and made a fine mess out of themselves doing so.
Grilled Rosemary Corn and Avocado Salad
4 ears of fresh corn on the cobb, shucked and cleaned
8 sprigs of fresh Rosemary
1/3rd cup red onion, finely chopped
2 avocadoes, ripe but still somewhat firm, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2 cups assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
juice of one lemon
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat
2. Place one corn on the cobb onto a piece of aluminum foil, add 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary on either side and roll tightly to cover corn. Repeat with the remainder of the corn.
3. Grill corn in the foil on medium-high heat, turning frequently to cook evenly until cooked to desired texture, around 15-20 minutes. Remove foil packets from the grill. Remove corn from the foil and allow to cool to room temperature.
4. Slice the corn off the cobb with a sharp knife into a medium sized bowl. Add the onions, avocadoes and tomatoes.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour over corn mixture and mix until all ingredients are well blended. Serve!